This week's program celebrates the city that gave birth to both the Italian Renaissance and opera! We'll hear Dufay's motet Nuper rosarum flores, which was composed for the consecration of the cathedral in 1436, music for Medici entertainments, and works by one of the fathers of opera: Jacopo Peri.
- Guillaume Dufay: Nuper Rosarum Flores & Salve flos Tusce gentis. Performed by The Huelgas Ensemble.
- Heinrich Isaac: Palle, palle & A la battaglia. Performed by Piffaro & The Concord Ensemble.
- Heinrich Isaac: Quis dabit capiti meo acquam. Performed by Capilla Flamenca.
- Heinrich Isaac: Donna di dentro. Performed by Capilla Flamenca.
- Anon.: A Florence la joyeuse cite. Performed by La Morra.
- Petrequin: Adieu Florens la yolye. Performed by Piffaro & The Concord Ensemble.
- Various: Music for a Medici Procession. Performed by Piffaro & The Concord Ensemble.
- Jacopo Peri: Se tu parti da me & Tra le donne onde s’onora. Performed by Ellen Hargis, soprano; Paul O’Dette, chitarrone; Andrew Lawrence-King, harp; Hille Perl, lirone.
- Antoine Busnois: Dieu quell marriage. Performed by Piffaro & The Concord Ensemble.