KMFA Classical 89.5 serves a wide variety of listeners by presenting a wide range of classical music in a friendly, informative manner. The station serves the audience with programming that reflects the local community as well as the national classical music environment.
Reporting to the President & General Manager, the Program Director develops and guides all program strategies using appropriate software and accepted best practices. The successful candidate will possess excellent organizational and management skills, an innovative approach to classical radio programming; an understanding of growing a radio audience, extensive knowledge of classical music, and previous classical radio programming experience. He/she will be an effective ambassador and liaison to community arts organizations. He/she must posess exemplary on-air hosting and program production ability, including live broadcast, interviewing, fundraising and special programming.
1. Work with general manager, program staff, management team and other key stakeholders to establish and communicate overall strategic direction for station programming
2. Oversee and develop programming content on the air and online
3. Develop new programming to fulfill strategic objectives
4. Oversee and curate music selections in line with KMFA’s mission
5. Supervise music and programming staff
6. Oversee KMFA’s physical and digital music library and databases
7. Work with PR/Marketing staff to strengthen KMFA’s social media
8. Serve on web team
9. Work closely with Development, Membership and Underwriting to optimize revenue/audience goals, ensuring FCC compliance on all on-air announcements
10. Recommend and be accountable for annual programming budget
11. Manage syndicated programming relationships
12. Manage external relationships in the community as they pertain to programming – including performing arts organizations, Community Advisory Board and Board of Trustees Programming Committee
1. Extensive knowledge of classical music, including an affinity for and knowledge of the music of our time, as well as that of historical periods
2. Strong writing and communication skills
3. Demonstrated organizational, budget, and deadline ability
4. Ability to manage and work well in a team
5. Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent work/education experience
1. At least 3 years as a classical radio programmer
2. At least 3 years as an on-air host or voice talent
3. Familiarity with automation and music scheduling software
4. Experience with developing online and streaming content
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience, plus a comprehensive benefits plan including fully paid employee medical and dental insurance, 403(B) contribution plan, vacation, sick/personal leave and holidays.
Please include mention of how you learned about this job opening.
Or mail materials to:
Program Director Position
KMFA Classical 89.5
3001 N. Lamar Blvd., Suite 100
Austin, TX 78705
About Classical 89.5, KMFA: Classical 89.5 KMFA, Austin’s all-classical public radio station, was founded in 1967 by a group of citizens who saw the need for a radio station devoted to cultural programming in the Central Texas Area. Today the station remains committed to this heritage. Relying on the majority of its funding from direct listener and business contributions, KMFA serves approximately 100,000 listeners each week and features both local programming and nationally distributed programming from Public Radio International, American Public Media and National Public Radio.
KMFA-FM is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, Vietnam era or special disabled veteran’s status, or sexual orientation.
KMFA offers non-paid internships and volunteer opportunities. For more information, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org